How To Remove Air From BMW X5 Spring Airbag
In this article, I am going to show you an easy-to-implement approach on how to remove air from the BMW X5 spring airbag without relying on the help of others.
Before I stumbled on this DIY approach, I had already invested a fortune into doing this by paying professionals to do the job back when I drove a BMW X5.
And because today’s your lucky day, I will share this gem with you at no cost at all.
Still not convinced?
Let’s get to it.
What’s This Post About?
Right here, I will address the following in practicable terms;
- The materials needed to remove air from the air suspension
- Precautionary measures when working on a vehicle’s air spring
- How to remove air from BMW x5 spring airbag
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Concluding thoughts.
Wait- that's not all;
You’ll also find a useful video illustration on how to remove air from a BMW x5 spring airbag in this post.
The Materials Needed To Remove Air From The Air Suspension
- A pair of protective hand gloves.
- Vehicle lift or hydraulic jack.
- L or X-shaped lug wrench.
- Needle nose pliers.
- Scan tool: A scan tool used for communicating with the air suspension control module will be necessary to deflate air from the spring airbag due for repair or replacement. It can also be used to do a functional test for validation of the replacement air compressor, once installed.
Precautionary Measures When Working On A Vehicle’s Air Spring
- When handling the needle nose pliers, ensure your grip on the handle is firm and avoid using it to cut big-sized wires or lines.
- Ensure there is a passage through which the air would flow out of the spring airbag before deflating it.
- Ensure you have prior experience with working on your car before you choose to deflate the air suspension yourself.
Although, this guide has adequate information to get any newbie started yet there's no harm in being extra cautious.
- Never place sharp objects near your vehicle’s air spring as it can easily spook the system leaving it damaged.
- When air pressure is in the spring airbag you should avoid dismantling the air spring until the air pressure is zero.
How To Remove Air From BMW X5 Spring Airbag In 7 Simple Steps
- First off, straighten the wheel, then turn off the air suspension so the vehicle’s height isn’t adjusted while working on it.
- Open your car hood and disconnect the car battery.
- Now with the aid of appropriate lifting equipment, lift the vehicle at appropriate lifting points in such a way that the entire vehicle is off the floor (Consider the manufacturer guide to see where the appropriate lifting positions are on your car).
Enough to enable you to conveniently remove the protective panel under the vehicle.
- Up next is the wheel removal; do this by unfastening the lug nuts with the aid of a lug wrench. This process isn’t lug-wrench-specific. So you can use either the L or X-shaped type of lug wrench.
- Proceed to carefully remove the wheel once all lug nuts have been disengaged and keep the lug nuts in a safe place.
So, what next?
- You can now proceed to remove air from the spring airbag of your BMW X5. But before you do so, first remove the solenoid plugs to make access to the spring airbag easier for you.
Sneaky tip: Solenoid plugs serve to control the flow or direction of air or liquid in pneumatic power systems.
- Now, go under the right side of your vehicle and unfasten the protective panel with the aid of a screwdriver and lug wrench. This exposes the valve block of your car’s spring airbag.
- Carefully locate the valve block and slowly remove the airline with the aid of a needle nose plier to deflate the spring airbag on your BMW X5.
Sneaky tip: the airline on the right side will remove air from the right air suspension and vice versa.
Do you understand?
And with that, we have come to the end of the DIY approach on how to remove air from the BMW X5 spring airbag.
For better understanding, check this video tutorial. It follows the exact step-by-step guide I have highlighted in this post.
Frequently Asked Questions On Air Ride Suspension
1. Can I use a hydraulic jack instead of a vehicle lift?
Yes! You can. But you should support the jack by placing a wheel choke on the two front wheels so the car doesn't move forward during lifting.
2. Do I have to switch off the air ride suspension component in my BMW X5 before deflating it?
Not only is it necessary, but it is also mandatory to do so. Else, you may suffer injury, damage to your vehicle, or experience both.
3. How much does it cost to remove air from a BMW X5 spring airbag?
You may have to pay the full cost of hiring a professional to do the job since the deflating of air is a step leading to the aforementioned. Hence, it may cost up to $2500 (including materials and service fee).
Sneaky tip: The price is prone to changes in the market.
From my perspective;
Knowing how to remove air from your BMW X5 spring airbag is not the same as knowing how to do it right.
So think twice before you get started on this DIY task.
If you don’t have the time and expertise to finish it, it’s in your best interest to hire someone to do it in your stead.
It’s your decision, and if you are ready to go all the way, then ensure you follow the steps I highlighted in this post to achieve the desired result.
Have you ever deflated the air spring of a BMW X5 in the past? Leave a comment and let me know!